Thursday, March 31, 2016

Speak your Truth even when your voice is shaking.

Speak your Truth even when your voice is shaking.


 My parents are getting older and it is hard to train myself to accept that their energy is not the same as it use to be. I wish my parents could accept what I say and realize it is my reality, and that it is hard to express when I need extra help. I admit that I do not put my foot down enough because I am afraid of how people will react towards me. I do not want to hurt others. That is especially hard for people with S N (Special Needs) to admit what they are going through. Also it is hard for them to express it. A lot of times people with S N express their anger in a dangerous way because they do not know any better. I am grateful that I know how to express my frustrations, but I am scared about when to express them as well as to whom. This is why I believe it is time to turn the page on helping people with S N. It is time to get past thinking about what they can not do, and think about what they can do. For example; yes your friend can ride her bike around, that is great. I know you want to do that. But you can not walk, so what do you have to move around? You have your wheelchair. It may take longer, but you eventually get there. This is the positive kind of reinforcement people with S N need. They need to be reminded of their strengths and abilities and what they can use from what they have. Also the more they get the reinforcement and help, eventually they are going to see more of what they can do for themselves and others. We are aiming for them to do things for themselves, I would have benefited from that kind of reinforcement when I was a child. I could have expressed my needs better and felt I was being heard. Everyone just wants to be heard. Lastly, that would have made it easier for me to handle what I am going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment