Friday, August 8, 2014

Adventures in Public Speaking




As you may know, I was featured in a movie produced by my brother, called “Lost Child?”.  You can learn about it here: Lost Child? Movie 

After production wrapped up, I was given an opportunity to speak to a group of students at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. After a screening of the movie, we offered the students a time to ask questions. 

Since then, I have had at least five additional opportunities to talk to small groups about the movie. I have also spoken at an annual meeting in Illinois called Speak Up/Speak Out, where I answered questions from very large groups. 

Now I would like to have opportunities to talk to parents of younger children with disabilities and to reinforce how important it is for them to open up at a younger age - the sooner the better.  I would like them to know that they can open up to their parents when they feel something is just not right, and about getting them to express what is on their mind about what they see in the world. 

A lot of times, these people end up having one or two magnificent talents in their lives (like a gift from God). I was given the gift of having a talent for public speaking; other people may have a talent in math, knowing about nature, etc. 

I know that my gift has helped me out a lot as a confidence booster, a real pat on the back. I am looking forward to finding out about potential speaking engagements in the future.



Until next time…

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment