Thursday, April 17, 2014

The importance of listening.


I want to talk a little about listening to people. 

I was at work, fell while I was outside, due to a problem with my balance. No one was around to assist me, so I had to try to get up on my own.  I eventually got up and went inside my workplace and tried to tell co-workers and supervisors that I wasn’t feeling well. 

My supervisors listened to me, but my coworkers thought I was playing a game. Eventually an accident happened and I had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. It wasn’t until the accident happened that people took me seriously, therefore, I felt like I was being treated as a child.

When people tell their parents or teachers something that may sound silly to them, don’t assume that they are playing games. For the person who has disabilities, that is an important message to get out; they need to be heard. I think listening is a big way to help their confidence.

Thank you for listening to my blog. 

 Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment